Hey guys, for this week’s Town Line Tuesday I’ll be continuing to answer the Character Questions I started a couple of weeks ago. The questions are all from this tumblr post by @lanqu-e. If you missed the first part you can check it out here.
Part 2: Miscellany (Continued)
16. What kind of job does your character want/not want? What is their dream job? What do they think of their current job? Daphne’s dream job would be any job where she can help people, and in that way, her current job as an agent for AEGIS–a secret vigilante organization bent on keeping the peace between humans and Supernaturals–is perfect for her. However, when we meet Daphne at the start of the novel, she’s had her faith in the organization seriously shaken and the novel will deal in part with her struggle to make peace between her love for the job and the unshakable feeling that maybe the cause she devoted her life to isn’t as noble as she believed it to be.
17. What are your character’s greatest fears? Weaknesses? Strengths? Daphne’s greatest fears would be being unable to save people she loves and becoming the monster so many people have accused her of being. Her greatest weakness is maybe relying too heavily on her gift–when you have such a strong innate gift it’s hard not to rely on it but it rarely shows Daphne the whole picture and relying on half a picture of a situation has and will continue to cost her. Her greatest strength is seeing all the horrible dark parts of humanity (and inhumanity) and still being able to see the good in it.
18. What kind of music do they listen to? Do they have a favorite song? Daphne mostly just listens to whatever local pop/rock/top 40 station comes over the radio. She likes music mostly for background noise not for the lyrics so she’d probably like Lindsey Stirling and similar artists/styles.
19. If they came from their world to ours how would they react? What would they do? Daphne’s world is essentially the same world as ours except for the fact that in her world supernatural creatures such a ghosts, vampires, demons, and angels exist and live side-by-side (mostly) with humans. That being said, if she stumbled into our world somehow I imagine she would hate it because she would feel like even more of a freak and outcast than she does in her world. She would probably do everything she can to keep her head down and not attract attention to herself as she works to find a way home. (I also like to imagine that in her search for a way home she’d find me and although I’m pretty sure she’d cuss me out for the shit I put her through it’d probably be the best day ever).
20. What personal problems/issues do they have? Pet peeves? Umm this is way too vague I’m not sure how to answer it. Daphne has a ton of issues, I mean the poor girl has recurring nightmares nearly every night, she’s haunted by her past, and she sees her dead best friend everywhere she goes. To say she’s not the most emotionally stable person out there would be putting it lightly. As for pet peeves I’d say people not heeding her advice about their future (they never listen it’s beyond frustrating) also decaf coffee.
21. What kind of student were they in high school? For all that she never ended up going to college, for the longest time Daphne was convinced that college was the only chance she had of getting out of her hell hole of a hometown so she took her classes seriously. She was an A and B student for the most part despite her teachers’ blatant dislike of her. As for extracurriculars/social life… they were practically nonexistent. Spencer was her only friend and while he did his best to invite her into his social circle she kept to herself–both out of dislike for his popular friends and out of fear of dooming him to the same social outcast standing as her.
22. What is a random fact about your character? When she was four or five, Daphne wanted to be an angel when she grew up.
23. What is their outlook on life? What is their philosophy / what do they think in general about living? Daphne’s basic outlook on life is that there’s always something worth living for–that no matter how awful and bleak it can get sometimes (and she knows firsthand just how bad it can get) there’s still beauty and goodness in it too.
24. Who is the most important person in their life? Why? Who is the least important to them (who still has an impact) and why? Most important is Hannah–Daphne’s best friend, partner, and the reason Daphne joined AEGIS in the first place. Least important is Daphne’s father…he’s important in that he affected and continues to affect Daphne but he wasn’t a good father so he earns least important.
25. What kind of childhood did your character have? Well, it wasn’t a good one.
26. What kind of nervous habits do they have? Do they have any addictions? Daphne runs her hands through her hair a lot and, while it’s not necessarily what I’d call a nervous habit, she goes for runs when she’s stressed or scared. Closest thing to an addiction she has is an unhealthy love for supernaturally enhanced coffee.
27. If they could choose their epitaph for their grave, what would they choose? “The beauty of the soul revealed.”
28. Do they want to get married? Would they ever want kids? Daphne would love to get married to someone she loves. Kids are another matter–she’s not sure she would be a good mom–but with the right person she would consider it.
29. If they could have one thing in the world, what would it be? For her best friend back.
30. Would they ever kill someone? What would push them to kill someone? She has killed people before. It’s part of the job sometimes. Granted those people are usually monsters… What would push her to kill a human? Maybe killing someone she loves…but then that would make them monsters too right?