When in doubt about what to write, go back to the basics right? Right. Ok so I stumbled upon this post on Tumblr that was 50 questions about your original character. It was meant to be an ask game where followers send the blogger that posted it a number corresponding to a question on the list for the blogger to answer. Well, no one’s asking but I think this could be a really fun exercise to help me with character development for Daphne. I’m not sure I can do all 50, but I guess I’ll just see how many I can get through in let’s say a couple of hours. I skimmed this post to make sure the questions were actually decent but I didn’t read every question so I’ll be doing this mostly on the fly. Should be fun. Credit for these questions goes to @lanqu-e on Tumblr.com. Check out the post here
Part 2: Miscellany
- What is your OC’s favorite color? Green.
- Does your OC collect anything? What do they collect? I’ve got this idea that people imprint little pieces of themselves-of their souls-onto the things they own. I mean say what you will about it, we tend to get emotionally attached to our possessions. Daphne can sometimes get readings off of items because of this–never as complete a reading as she can get off a living person, but she can get little snippets this way. Things like favorite childhood toys or that necklace a character’s mother gave them that they wear every single day give stronger readings but less personal items like pieces of clothing or less emotionally significant jewelry works as well. Anyway, I’m not sure I’ll ever address it in the books but I think Daphne collects these odds and ends of significant people she meets in her travels as a way of feeling close to them even when apart. She’s sentimental like that.
- What kind of things is your OC allergic to? Daphne isn’t allergic to anything. She does sometimes get readings that cause adverse physical reactions. Like migraines, nausea, etc.
- What kind of clothing does your OC wear? Casual clothing that is easy to move/fight in and can take a lot of wear and tear.
- What is your OC’s first memory? Ooh I don’t know that I can really get into this one without delving into some spoiler-y topics. Let’s just say her first memory is of the first time she got a soul-reading off of someone (or at least the first one she was old enough to remember) and the resulting confusion and fear and permanently damaged relationship with the person she got the reading from.
- What’s your OC’s favorite Animal? Least favorite? Daphne would never pass as a Disney Princess. Animals hate her, they seem to sense something not quite right with her. Frankly, the feeling is mutual. You only cry over so many cat scratches and dog bites as a child before you stop wanting to be friends with the furry little demons. She usually fares better with magical creatures.
- What element would your OC be? Are we sticking with Avatar the Last Airbender four elements here or are we including the infrequently mentioned fifth element of spirit? Because obviously she would be spirit. But if we’re only including the main four, I guess she would probably be earth. Strong, dependable, stubborn and enduring. Plus I can’t help but think Toph’s way of “seeing” through vibrations in the earth is comparable to Daphne’s own gift.
- What is your OC’s theme song? I don’t really have a theme song for Daphne but a couple of the songs I have in a playlist that remind me of Daphne are “Control” by Halsey, “On the Inside” by Daughtry, “Broken Angel” by Boyce Avenue, and “I’ll be Good” by Jaymes Young.
- Do you have a faceclaim/ voiceclaim for your OC? (AKA who would play your OC in a show/movie) I don’t really have a particular actress in mind for Daphne but I will say that Gypsy on The Flash–played by Jessica Camacho–always makes me think of Daphne for some reason.
- What deadly sin would best represent your OC? Pride. When you are omniscient-adjacent you can get a little arrogant at times. It happens. I just have to make sure she gets humbled from time to time.
- What are your OC’s hobbies? Running, Knife-throwing, hand-to-hand sparring…wait those are all job related you say? Um she tends to be a little work-obsessed but she enjoys TV as much as anyone, I wouldn’t necessarily call it a hobby per say but she spends a lot of downtime looking for answers about what, exactly, she is.
- How patient is your OC? How hot-headed are they? Daphne is generally a very patient person. She doesn’t get angry often but you do not want to be the person on the receiving end of her wrath.
- What food does your OC like to eat? What are their least favorite foods? Daphne is a burger and fries kind of gal, but she’s not a picky eater and will try pretty much anything. That being said, get that vegan fake meat crap away from her.
- If your OC could have any pet, what would they choose? Why? Like I said before, animals + Daphne is a recipe for disaster. Better stick with pet rocks.
- What does your OC smell like? Hah! That’s a hilarious question. What’s the often laughed at fanfiction formula for personal scents? Two obscure scents plus the phrase “and something uniquely (character name)”? Following that, because why not, I’m going to go with motel soap, the forest just after its rained, and something sharp and clear and uniquely Daphne.
And I think that’s a good place to stop for now. This was fun! I definitely want to do the rest of these questions at some point. For now, thanks for reading and I’ll try to post again later this week.